The vacuum desiccator is made of molded polyethylene having the interior space of one cubic foot. It helps in providing a low humidity environment which is proper for storing hygroscopic, anhydrous chemical and biological compounds. It works as an excellent sealed gasket being absolutely leak-resistant as well as chemical-resistant.
It is enabled for slow release with the help of a 3-way vacuum release valve. It is also featured with backfilling with a dry inert gas. It is provided safety glass door to feature an unobstructed view which will not be hazy over the period of time like acrylic.
It features a steel wire frame stand which is powder-coated along with 2 removable aluminum shelves with 12 holes to support crucibles and stainless steel pan in case of granular desiccant.
Selecting the Right Vacuum Desiccator
Since each of the methods of desiccation has its own unique advantages, therefore, it is for you first to decide what method of desiccation you are to opt for. In case of vacuum desiccators, it will remove air and moisture with the help of a vacuum pump and after opening can be brought back quite easily to the vacuum.
Vacuum desiccator also has great use in degassing technique. The duration for the maintenance of the vacuum may vary from model to model. The gas ported desiccators are used for this occasion with the gases like argon and nitrogen for achieving an ultra dry environment.
360 Vacuum or Gas-Ported Desiccators
A traditional style 360 vacuum domed desiccator is made of high-grade polycarbonate and therefore, provides a clear unobstructed view of the contents in it. It offers larger storage space than other desiccators which also provides better portability and user-friendliness.
- The polycarbonate material is quite useful in resisting the most common chemicals or thermal stress. It can also be wiped and cleaned quite easily.
- The vacuum desiccators are to be preferred of 4000 cu or 65 liters so that it can contain materials upto 45 cm wide.
- It may be available with one or two gas ports in order to provide flexibility of using different gases as per requirement. It will also feature faster cycle time between vacuum and release.
- It should also feature to hold a complete vacuum, which is 29 inch Hg, 737mm at room temperature for 24 hours.
- With two removable polypropylene shelves preferably of 36.5cm and 22.5cm, it should feature as maximum storage capacity as possible.
- The side handle should have easy portability and can be used as a tamper-evident seal.
- The lab companion vacuum desiccator should feature multiple-way valve system so that it can provide a uniform and consistent vacuum draw or release or exchange of gases.
- With analog vacuum gauge, it could be used with any vacuum and that would be with free air capacity of 1.5 cubic feet per minute (CFM) or even greater.
- Being featured with amber tinted UV blocking system, it should block UVA, B,andC, light almost 100%.
- Transparent polycarbonate is used as the material because of the durability and easy-to-clean features of it.